Friday, October 21, 2011

How can you "wear the shirt"?

That is a very strange statement if you have not been following the Ada Regional United Way 2012 Campaign.
The first time I used the statement "How I wear the Shirt" this year, I did get some strange looks.  As campaign has gone along, those that have heard the statement more than a couple of times are beginning to "get it".
We provided a LIVE UNITED t-shirt to each attendee of our kick off luncheon in September as the theme of the event was "How I wear the Shirt".  I have seen several of the attendees proudly wearing their shirt since the event.  I smile each time I see a LIVE UNITED shirt in the distance.

Basically, if you have averted me over the past months, I need to update you on exactly what it means to "wear the shirt".  It does not have to be a physical wearing of the LIVE UNITED t-shirt; although it is very comfortable and fashionable in the right setting.  To wear the shirt means to be a part of the community.  Some wear the shirt and no one but them ever know it; the tireless volunteer behind the scenes at a food bank, clothing drive, community event wears an important shirt.  That shirt may take may shapes and/or sizes, but without that shirt, nothing would get done.  That part in some situations may be played by only one person working tirelessly along or may be up to a large group of people partnering for success.  Another shirt wearer may be like myself; out and about almost everyday in our community talking to people, promoting activities and partnerships whether wearing a physical LIVE UNITED shirt or not. (As a lot of the times you see me I am in some form of United Way attire.)  Both of these are from one extreme to the other - forms of wearing the shirt.  There are so many more examples most of which are "somewhere in-between".

Some folks are known for exactly what they do in the community, but some are those quietly in the background working away with no one else knowing what they are doing.  Think what would happen if all these folks stopped wearing the shirt.  Disaster would ensue.

You mostly likely know if you "wear the shirt".  Please comment on this post or on the Face Book group "How I wear the shirt".
click here to visit the group How I wear the Shirt
I really think we would all be surprised to learn what others are doing to make a difference in our community.

No comments:

Post a Comment