Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Best question I was ever asked?

I have the opportunity with my job to visit with the entire community.  One of my favorite interactions is with High School students as they still have the opinion that they can ask anything.  Sometimes I can be surprised with what comes out of the "mouth of babes".  As my children are well past High School, I am allowed to call them "babes".  To me they appear to be very young.
During a presentation to a Leadership Class, I allowed as always questions from the students.   
By far the Best question
I have ever been asked was "what would you say is the thing that you have been involved with that has made the most difference?"  It actually took me a few seconds to come up with an answer to a question I have never been asked before.  Hundreds of meetings, events, partnerships, etc went flying through my head.  What would be the most "what I would consider - the most impact on the community"?  I would have to admit this was a difficult question.  What if I said something wrong, made someone upset that I did not pick their project, left out a memory.... 
My answer: 
The community partnership (I use this term because to me it matters most how many are involved as well as affected by the project) that I feel has made the most difference in our community is what began as the Crystal Darkness viewing in January of 2009 and has grown to become a community coalition (Pontotoc County Drug Free Coalition "aka" PDCFC).  The original viewing found a standing room only crowd and continues to invite the entire community to partner on events.  Everyone is affected by substance abuse; if not directly, then by the community as a whole.  I explained that the Step Out of the Darkness event (which at this time had not occurred) would prove to be an interesting opportunity to see if the community continues to embrace the subject of prevention of substance abuse as well as the celebration of those in recovery.

If you had the opportunity to attend the Crystal Darkness event, January 2009, any PCDFC meeting, recovery celebration event, Reality Party and/or the Step Out of the Darkness event, I would say that most likely you would agree with me that this one community partnership has had the most affect on our entire community....and it continues to affect the entire community.

If you have never attended any of these events, I challenge you to do so. You will be surprised at how little you actually knew about substance abuse prevention and recovery - I was!

No comments:

Post a Comment