Thursday, September 22, 2011

Why is it so difficult to receive an award, but not a challenge at all to give an award?

Why is it so difficult to receive an award, but not a challenge at all to give an award?
I have been asking myself this question since I was honored Tuesday evening with an Exemplary Community Involvement award. This award was presented to me by by the Brandon Whitten Institute for Addition & Recovery at East Central University.

I have the opportunity to present awards to community members all the time.  I love to recognize those who make our local area a better place in which to live.
I don't mind at all accepting an award on behalf of Ada Regional United Way or one of the many community coalitions that I am involved in.  If fact, quite the contrary, I love accepting awards on behalf of others.

I don't feel like I "deserve" any recognition because I am simply doing my job that I love.

I heard a comment on the radio this morning, not intended to make a difference to me, but it did.  We all need to learn to receive as much as we can give.  HUM?

I do not think I am the only person today in need of this comment.  There are so many folks in our area that don't think the little things to them make a big difference to someone else.

That being said, I would like to say how humbled I was to be recognized for what I consider to be my job and think of as little things I do.  Each and every day I view the lovely framed certificate in my office will remind me once again that we know not what impact we make on someone or the entire community each and every day.  I am proud to be able to have a job that I love and that can make an impact each and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment